Yes sir, down at the Beach Clubhouse its time to TAKE 5.
This time were lookin’ at the Movies in…………TAKE 5 Beach Movies:
When recently asked to choose his Favorite 5 Beach films, Cesare Zambelli, Lignano International Cup organiser, didn’t need long to come up with this eclectic list of greats. We’ve listed them in this order solely to demonstrate what a great memory he has:
1) Big Wednesday (1978). How to make waves ! Had the sport officially existed all those years ago, Cesare believes these guys would have had the balls to play SUPER BEACH 5′s. And doesn’t a young Gary Busey bear a striking resemblance to someone we know?
2) Quadrophenia (1979) – All mods, vespas, rockers and battles on the beach. While there are similarities, Brighton is not quite Lignano. Cesare sights water and sand temperature as 2 marked differences. Also Vespa’s find it hard to get any real traction on golden sand.
3) Apocalypse Now (1979)
– Some fine surfing moments. Cesare was quick to point out that personally he likes the smell of Espresso in the morning.
4) Saving Private Ryan (1998) – It could be said that the Beach Landing scenes are akin to Sunday’s finals day at the Lignano International Cup. Obvious differences – the lack of military hardware and boots ! No doubt things would have been different had they been wearing sublimated jersey’s with military style print. They’re so much more difficult to grab hold of.
5) Castaway (2000)
– If you’re out of training or are simply not used to the surface, the Beach can be a very LONELY place indeed !! Infact, it was only after filming that Tom Hanks discovered his life on the island would have been so much easier had he just chosen an OVAL BALL. C’mon Tom, what were you thinkin’ man !
At this stage in the interview, the editor suggested to Cesare that a Tom Hanks theme was beginning to appear in his selection. And why, if he was such a Tom Hanks fan, did he not also include Splash (1984). Afterall, Daryl Hannah would be everyone’s dream mermaid right!……. Sipping on his favourite tipple, a fresh Strawberry Daiquiri, Cesare smiled but refrained from making any further comment.
EDITOR’S CHOICE :
Having taken account of Mr. Zambelli’s outstanding selection, it’s tough to pick a winner. So tough that, on further reflection, SB5′s Editor has decided to opt for one of his own:
ALOHA Scooby Doo (2006) – Frighteningly realistic surf scenes. Scooby & Shaggy demonstrate with ease how to hang 10. Daphne is awesome. And as for Fred, well, he would love to play SUPER BEACH 5′s. But sadly, being an Average Guy, he knows he can’t. Sorry Fred.
Email the Editor to add your Favourites to SB5′s ~ “TAKE 5″ Beach Movies.
SUPER BEACH 5′s RUGBY – Not for your AVERAGE GUYS